Tuesday, January 26, 2010

The Player And The Pro


We finished Season 2 of Mad Men yesterday. And it's getting good. I still feel that it's more beautiful than brilliant, but I might be persuaded to change this opinion after Season 3. We'll see.

But here's what I don't get: Don Draper. The lure of the Drape. What are you all swooning about? He sure is handsome, and troubled, and a lot of women go for that kind of thing. But still. Intriguing is one thing, but a guy who never smiles? I dunno. I mean, I get the whole Player/Bad guy/Tough childhood appeal. I've been twentytwo, I've done that. But this? Nah.

Roger Sterling on the other hand. Silver fox with no morals, chauvinist pig with three cardiac arrests? That I totally see. You gotta love a guy who can down oysters and secretaries like there's no tomorrow. And clearly be enjoying it.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I believe I fooled you once.

Aymo said...

Just wait for Season 3! We love Don better than Roger though...

RW said...

I have heard several people recommend this series...we just started The Wire and Dexter... so it will have to wait.

Beth said...

I'm so glad to know a kindred spirit! I have always wondered why girls are crazy for moody Don, when hilarious, handsome, tricky Roger is clearly the better time.

Anna Ander said...

Yay! Beth's on my team!

Beth said...

Definitely!

Dionne said...

LoL, I have never seen this show, but I like the actor who plays Don Draper - I remember when he guest starred on this show out here called "30 Rock" - he played a Doctor who only got his job because he was good-looking. He didn't even know how to do the heimlich maneuver!

Flying Doctors! I used to LOVE that show. I had no idea that it aired anywhere but Australia!

Callie Grayson said...

:)
Can you believe I have only seen one episode of this show!! i guess that is what happens when one doesn't own a tv.

xx
callie

Jane said...

I need to try this one again. Just can't get into it. Maybe too many distractions.